THE METLIKA WINERY
Our predecessors founded the first agricultural consortium in Metlika already over 100 years ago, on November 14, 1909. The KZ Metlika has 26 acres of new vineyards, to be found at an ideal location between the slopes of Vinomer and Vidošiči, around the famous church of St.Anne. For its needs, the winery buys grapes from its partners and collaborators. Today, the Metlika winery is one of the most important pillars of the KZ Metlika. The winery is enormous, 108 feet long, tunnel-like, entirely underground, with a constant temperature between 12 and 13 °C, a capacity of 3.4 million litres, and an annual production of about 750.000 litres of wine. The year 1968 is of particular importance for the development of the viticulture in Bela Krajina, when the new brand “Metliška črnina” was introduced, so that the winery became its birthplace. Metlika extended the limits of Slovenian wines in 1981, when it produced Slovenia’s first rosé wine, through a combination of Franconian Blue and Black Velvet. Even further progress for the viticulture of the time in the former Yugoslavia was reached when in 1986, under the leadership of Julij Nemanič, Metlika became the first winery of the former Yugoslavia to produce ice wine.