In Mestni trg (the Town Square), having a characteristic medieval shape, the most important buildings of the historic part of the town are located, i.e. Sv. Nikolaj Church, the Commenda House and the Provost’s House. In its central part, the square is quite wide, enabling gathering of people; therefore even today, every first and third Tuesday of the month, fairs are organised as remnants of medieval town privileges.
In Mestni trg, the birthplaces of the sculptor Alojz Gangl (1859-1935) and the writer Engelbert Gangl (1873-1950) are located, the previously operating Wach’s pharmacy (1886), in which a relief of the Holy Trinity, the Patron of Pharmacy, is built-in, and the first Narodna čitalnica (National Reading Society) in Dolenjska (1865).
At its exit, Mestni trg narrows down and leads us to the largest town space.
This is Trg svobode (Square of Liberty), which is closed by the Castle located at its highest point. Metliški grad (the Metlika Castle) stands at the highest point of the promontory between Obrh and Bojica.. It is first mentioned in medieval documents in 1338; however, its design is probably much older. Together with the town, it represented a defence line of the Kranjska Country during the period of Turks’ invasions. The Castle was severely damaged by fire in 1705 and 1790. After renovations, it has lost its fortress-like appearance. Inside the Castle building, there is a spacious courtyard surrounded by arcades. Since 1951, the Castle has hosted Belokranjski muzej (Bela krajina Museum). Permanent collections in the first floor include archaeological, cultural and historical and ethnological collections, and the collection of contemporary history. In the ground floor, there are a lapidary, a vineyard collection and the Gangl’s Gallery intended for occasional exhibitions. In summer time, cultural events named „Come to the Castle in the Evening“ take place in the courtyard. In the park in front of the Castle, there are busts of celebrities of Bela krajina, the memorial plaque of the killed and the victims of the Second World War from all the settlements of the municipality, the monument dedicated to a partisan of Bela krajina, the bust of Tito and four national heroes.
The building of the old Sokol’s gymnasium, which was used by Metlika’s Sokol Club members before the Second World War, hosts Slovenski gasilski muzej (Slovenian Fire Museum). There is a plaque placed on the stone in front of the Museum recalling establishment of the first fire brigade in Slovenia. It was established on 1869 by inhabitants of Metlika upon an initiative of the Metlika’s nobleman Josip Savinšek. The Museum is named after Dr. Branko Božič, who was responsible for establishment of the Museum. It is also worth mentioning the vine, a graft of the oldest vine in Slovenia, Modra Kavčina of Maribor. In the immediate vicinity, there is a building holding the inscription of Prva dolenjska hranilnica in posojilnica (First Savings and Loan Bank of Dolenjska).
The newest square of the old town centre is Partizanski trg (Partisan Square), as it is located in the area, which was already outside the medieval city walls. The building of the former elementary school built in 1886 is the mightiest building. The film director Osip Šest (1893-1962) was born in this house. During the Second World War, the building hosted a military academy. On the other side of the square, there is a birthplace of the Navratil’s brothers. The older one, Ivan Navratil (1825-1896), was a renowned linguist and ethnographer, and the Metlika’s folk dance group is named after him; while the younger brother, Anton Navratil (1832-1897), was a national awakener.
The birthplace of the principal, Dr. Mirko Černič (1884-1956), is also located in this square.